What Does a Design-Build Contractor Provide?
The design-build model is becoming increasingly popular across the construction world. In this process, a design-build contractor replaces the traditional method of giving separate contracts for design and construction. These are some of the benefits of working with a design-build team instead of separate architects, contractors and subcontractors:
- Cost savings: Trying to save money on a new build or remodeling project is the name of the game. However, that’s often easier said than done. The design and build method helps save money with lower labor costs and sensible material usage.
- Accelerated schedule: In the traditional model, the design process must be finalized before any site preparation begins. That’s not the case with design-build—a construction team can break ground while the design is being finalized, speeding up the whole process.
- Faster move-ins: Thanks to an accelerated schedule, homeowners can move into their new or remodeled homes much sooner. When you’re able to move into your home sooner while also saving money, that’s a win-win.
- A better overall experience: Building or remodeling can be a nightmare for some people due to issues with their design or construction teams. Because you’re only dealing with a single contractor with the design and build method, the whole process goes off without a hitch.
The design-build process
There are five distinct phases of the design-build method. Here are the steps each homeowner goes through:
- Team selection: First off, an owner must select a design-build team. Avoid going with the cheapest design-build contractor and instead focus on reputation and experience.
- Pre-construction: In this phase, architects, engineers and contractors will analyze the current structure to determine what needs to be done. Being thorough in this phase ensures an efficient project.
- Architectural design: Some of the design work gets started in the pre-construction phase, but everything is finalized during architectural design. This is also where the design-build contractor will try to save money on materials.
- Construction: As mentioned above, we can often get construction underway while the design is being finalized, but the construction phase is streamlined because the entire team is on the same page.
- Post-construction: Once everything has wrapped up, the design-build team will give a walkthrough of the property and be available to answer any questions homeowners have about the project.
Work with The RockAway Company
When you’re looking for a design-build contractor, here are a couple reasons to get in touch with The RockAway Company:
- Experience: Having experience is a must in this industry. Our designers have over 30 years of industry experience, so you can rest easy knowing the job will be completed on schedule and just how you want it.
- Services offered: There’s no reason to bring in multiple contractors for a construction project. The RockAway Company does it all, from bathroom and kitchen remodels to exterior work and accessibility updates. We’re even well versed in commercial projects.
The choice is clear the next time you need a design-build contractor—reach out to our pros at The RockAway Company. Contact our team today to get started with your project consultation.
Categorised in: Design-Build