Ideas for Updating Your Backyard
September 22, 2020
There’s still some time left this year to enjoy the outdoors before the winter weather arrives, so now’s as good a time as any to perform some upgrades to your backyard. Whether you’re looking for practical additions or luxury amenities, there are plenty of options for you to consider.
Here are just a few examples of things you can add to your space to give yourself a much-needed backyard renovation in Fort Worth, TX:
- Decks: Out of all the backyard additions homeowners make, decks are probably the most popular. You can add a deck right outside your house or shed to increase your functional space and improve your property’s appearance. It’s a project you can take on yourself if you have decent carpentry skills, or you can hire out the project to a contractor if you have some more complex ideas in mind. A deck can be a great spot for reading, entertaining or enjoying a meal outdoors.
- Sheds: If you need additional storage space, want to create an outdoor workshop or want a little area for gardening and potting, a shed could be a perfect addition to your backyard. You can find prefabricated sheds or design and build a custom shed of your own. You can customize the shed as needed to accommodate your needs and interests.
- Pavers: Rather than putting down boring old concrete slabs for your pathways, you can lay brick or concrete pavers instead. These pavers are attractive, economical and strong, and can also be customized in a variety of ways with different colors, patterns and textures. If you take on the job yourself, just make sure you perform all the proper prep work, including tamping down the soil, adding paving base and sand and removing grass and soil as needed.
- Awnings or pergolas: Awnings and pergolas can add a bit of extra shade over a deck or patio, and can also make for great locations to hang flower baskets, plants and lighting. This makes them both functional and aesthetic improvements to your backyard space.
- Fireplace: If you enjoy having bonfires in your backyard, you might consider something more permanent than a simple portable fire pit that you have to haul out every time you want to have a fire. Put down some pavers or stones in the area where you’ll place your fire pit, or build up a concrete or stone fire pit of your own. Just make sure you know the building codes in your local area—some municipalities do not allow for in-ground fire pits, and may require fire pits to be a certain distance away from your home and other structures.
- Furniture and décor: Patio furniture and décor can add a lot to both the aesthetic and practical qualities of your backyard. If you have old, beat-up furniture and spend a lot of time outside, this is a sensible upgrade that doesn’t have to cost you a whole lot of money to make.
For more information about how you can make some backyard renovations at your home in Fort Worth, TX, contact the team at The RockAway Company today.
Categorised in: Outdoor Renovations