Whether it’s for you or a loved one, there may come a time when one or two bathrooms in your home will need to be made handicap accessible. This post will teach you more about a handicap bathroom remodel in Fort Worth, TX and what it takes to achieve the end product.
What does a handicap-accessible bathroom entail?
A handicap bathroom upgrade looks different from project to project based on the person’s wants or needs. However, these are a few of the most common changes we make:
- Walk-in shower: The most common upgrade for a handicap bathroom is converting a bathtub into a walk-in shower. On top of making it easier for mobility-challenged individuals to enter and exit the shower, a walk-in shower can add a ton of value to your home.
- Widened doors: Many doorways aren’t wide enough for wheelchairs or walkers to fit through. That’s obviously an issue if you want your bathroom to be handicap accessible. It’s advised that bathroom doorways be widened to at least 32 inches to ensure easy passage for walkers and wheelchairs.
- Smooth doorway thresholds: While widening the door, you’ll want to ensure that the threshold leading from the hallway into the bathroom is flush. If the floors aren’t even, there’s a tripping hazard for people with a walker, and wheelchair users may have a difficult time rolling into the bathroom.
- Grab bars: Installing grab bars by the toilet is another must-have for a handicap bathroom, as they make it easier for anyone to get onto and off of the commode. These grab bars should be 33 to 36 inches off the ground and at least 36 inches long to be as helpful as possible.
- Lower shelves: All toiletries, towels and other bathroom essentials will need to be lower to the ground in your new bathroom. Moving shelves to hip level or lower ensures that anyone in a wheelchair or those who have trouble raising their arms can easily grab the items they need.
What’s needed for this project?
Simply wishing for a handicap bathroom won’t get the job done. You’ll need the things below to ensure your handicap bathroom remodel in Fort Worth, TX is completed on time and to your liking:
- A solid plan: The more details you have in mind for your new bathroom, the better. Knowing exactly what you want makes the whole process easier for your contractor and helps speed things up.
- A strict budget: Planning out your budget beforehand and sticking to it will prevent frustration and financial difficulties. When making a budget, keep in mind that projects like this can run into hiccups that raise the total cost.
- The right contractors: Finally, choose the right team to accomplish this project. Look for a company with experience taking on handicap remodeling projects, and one with fair rates for their services.
If you’re ready to get started on your handicap bathroom remodel in Fort Worth, TX, then be sure to call our team at The RockAway Company. We have years of industry experience when it comes to all sorts of residential remodeling projects, including upgrading bathrooms to be handicap accessible.
Categorised in: Bathroom Remodel