A home renovation project can be as simple as knocking down a wall or installing new flooring, or as complex as gutting and rebuilding a kitchen. Either way, you should hire a contractor and hash out the details first. We’re here to help you avoid the biggest mistakes related to home remodeling in Fort Worth, TX. Plan well and you’ll save money, and you’ll likely even boost the value of your home:
- Hiring the cheapest contractor: The pros recommend getting quotes and estimates from at least three contractors before making a hiring decision. Each contractor should come out to your house to do an evaluation, then give you a written estimate. Compare all the bids, from the differences in the costs of materials and labor to how long each thinks it’ll take to finish the project. If one contractor’s bid is much lower than the others, be wary—they may not be licensed, they might use low-quality products or they might just not do a very good job.
- Setting an unrealistic budget: When creating a budget for your home remodeling endeavors, be sure to leave room for surprises that are likely to pop up. For instance, accidental damage can be inflicted on walls during the process of removing old materials, or the contractor might find electrical issues. The best thing you can do to ensure your project doesn’t go down the drain is set aside 15 percent of the total project cost or more for these contingencies.
- Not measuring space for cabinets: One of the most costly mistakes the pros say homeowners make is buying kitchen cabinets and installing them, only to then realize their large appliances don’t fit in the new spaces. Measure and remeasure several times before cutting space for new cabinets.
- Choosing expensive countertops: Sure, granite countertops are beautiful and sturdy, but there are plenty of material options for you to choose from. In fact, choosing a different material for your countertops can save you a lot of money (think butcher blocks, quality laminate or plate steel). But if you want natural stone like granite and it’s within your budget, go for it!
- Insisting you need hardwood floors: Many homeowners put new floors on their list of remodeling wants. If you’re set on a new floor installation, don’t assume you want real hardwood floors. While beautiful, hardwood is not going to practical for everyone. Keep in mind that things like pet nails and kids will damage and add wear and tear to hardwood very quickly. For these households, consider laminate planks that look similar to real wood and are more durable.
- Not evaluating the layouts of rooms: Whether you are remodeling a bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry room or your entire home, this is your chance to change the layout of your living spaces. Maybe it would be beneficial to move the toilet to the other side of the bathroom, or moving the vanity to the center will make the bathroom look more balanced. Don’t be afraid to try something new.
If you’d like more information about home remodeling in Fort Worth, TX, contact The RockAway Company. Call us today to consult with our experienced design team!
Categorised in: Home Remodeling